National Wear Red Day®
Today is National Wear Red Day® to raise awareness of heart disease.
Did you know heart disease is the leading cause of death in America? According to the American Heart Association an estimated 80% of heart disease and stroke is preventable!
What you eat plays a large role in heart health.
Below are some ways you can improve heart health with diet:
- Watch out for saturated fats – limit red meats, high fat dairy products such as cheeses, butter, and cream. Limit cookie, cake, pastries, donuts and other baked goods.
- Add unsaturated fats such as avocado, healthy oils such as olive oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, nuts, seeds and nut butters.
- Add plenty of omega 3 fatty acids found in fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, and sardines – 12 oz. per week is recommended. If you don’t eat fish try to incorporate ground flaxseed or walnuts into your diet daily.
- Keep your sodium (salt) intake low. Limit processed and salty foods such as pre-seasoned items, frozen meals, anything with a seasoning packet, processed meats such as bacon/sausage (even the natural kind), soups that are made with broth, bullion or canned soups.
- Limit restaurant meals and takeout. Even a healthier option can be loaded in sodium.
Limit added sugars. Too much sugar can lead to elevated triglycerides (fat in your bloodstream).
- Get enough soluble fiber found in oats, beans, citrus fruits, apples. Soluble fiber can help to reduce cholesterol.
- Get plenty of fruit, vegetables and whole grains. Make at least half your grains whole. Aim for 7 to 11 servings of fruit and vegetables every day! To help meet those goals each meal and snack should contain a fruit and/or vegetable.
- Limit alcohol – too much alcohol can raise your risk of hear attack or stroke.
Here are some quick heart healthy ideas:
- Avocado toast on whole wheat with sesame seeds and an apple on the side - Brown rice cakes with almond butter and bananas - Salad or whole grain pita with canned wild salmon or tuna - Apple or banana with natural peanut butter - Overnight oats made with skim milk or non-fat yogurt, add chia seeds or ground flax seeds -Celery sticks with natural peanut butter and raisins (ants on a log)
For more ideas on how to manage your health FOLLOW US on FB and Instagram @eatrightplan.